The current building of the Cathedral was consecrated and opened to the cult on January 7th, 1995. However the church was initially built before the Russian-Japanese war of 1904-1905. During the occupation... View mapLearn more
The Gagarin Park of Culture and Leisure was unveiled on June 7, 1947. It covers an area of 90 ha. The park's plantations harmoniously turn into the natural vegetation of Taiga.
In 1954, the park saw... View mapLearn more
Glory Square sports a monument erected in honor of the Soviet soldiers who died during the battles for the liberation of South Sakhalin and Kuril from the Japanese in 1945. The memorial was unveiled on... View mapLearn more
This literary museum was created thanks to the enthusiasm of the inhabitants of Sakhalin. In the late 20th century, people started sending funds to the bank for the creation of the museum. The director,... View mapLearn more
The memorial dedicated to the 30th Anniversary of the liberation of South Sakhalin and Kuril was unveiled on September 3, 1975 on the anniversary day of the military victory over Japan. In the foundations... View mapLearn more
The monument to Chekhov was erected on July 10th 1990 to honor the memory of the great Russian writer Chekhov. The writer spent three months and two days on Sakhalin in 1890. He worked hard there as a... View mapLearn more
The monument to Saint Andrew was erected on October 8th, 2000 to celebrate the 2000 years of Christianity and three-hundred years of the Order of Saint Andrew in Russia.
The monument depicts a tired... View mapLearn more
Originally the Ethnographic Museum of Sakhalin was founded in 1896 in the Alexandrovsky post. However during the Russian-Japanese war, the building was destroyed. The museum was rebuilt and reopened in... View mapLearn more
The Botanic Garden of the Far East Department of the Russian Academy of Science was created in 1991 on the initiative of famous Russia biologist, academician Zhirmunsky and professor Kharkevich. The garden... View mapLearn more
The Regional Fine Arts Museum is located in the building of the former Japanese bank that was built in 1930. The museum settled in in 1989 but its collections have been gathered since 1983.
The museum... View mapLearn more