The semi-circular buildings of the General Headquarters stretch on 580 meters on Palace Square.
Its construction (1819-1828) was supervised by Russian-Italian architect Carlo Rossi. He linked the two neoclassical wings with a triumph Arc surmounted with a Roman chariot. The sculptures were made by Stepan Pimienov and Vasily Demyt-Malinovsky. This monument commemorates the victory of the imperial Russia army over the troops of Napoleon in 1812.
Initially, the building hosted the Ministries of War, Foreign Affairs and Finances. Today, it is the home to Western Military district command which gathers the former military regions of Moscow and Leningrad.