Senate and Synod
This building located on Senate Square used to host two organs of Imperial Russia: the Senate and the Synod.
Built in 1829-1835, it was designed by architect Carlo Rossi. He completed an Empire style structure. The facade looking on Garlernaya Street contains a triumph Arc. It symbolizes the unity of the Church and the State. It reads: ”Piety and Justice”.
Nowadays on wing of the building hosts the Institutional Court of Russia. The other one is home to the Boris Yeltsin Presidential Library.