The Saint Petersburg stock exchange is located at the end of Vasilevsky Island classed Strielka (arrow). Its architect was Jean-Francois Thomas de Thomon, who also designed the red rostral columns that stand in front of the building.
The construction started in 1805 but the architect could not supervise the entire work as he died in 1813, three years before the building was completed. The building is renowned thanks to the colonnade surrounding the structure. On the pediment, facing the Neva, one can admire a sculpture called ”Neptune and the two rivers”: the Great Neva and the Small Neva.
Since 1949 the Central Museum of the Ministry of Defense is hosted in the building of the stock exchange. It displays an collection of seven hundred thousands items including ten thousand scale models of ships.