Narva Triumphal Arch
In 1814, a wood and alabaster triumphal arch was erected on Narva Square. It was built on the Narva Highway and was meant as a gate to welcome the soldiers on their victorious return. That year the troops passed through the gate four times and its fragile structure started to deteriorate.
The construction of a new arch was put in charge of Vasily Stasov. The sculptures were made by Vasily Demuth-Malinovksy and Peter Clodt von Jürgensburg. 30 meters-high and 28 meters-wide it is surmounted by a chariot with six horses led by Nike, Greek goddess of Victory.
The arch wasn't dismantled during Soviet times, however it was damaged in the bombings of World War II. In 1944, the soldiers of the Red Army marched past the monument. Later it underwent several stages of restoration.
Since 1989, it is possible to visit the small military museum hosted in the upper part of the structure.