This square of Saint Petersburg is commonly called by the name it was given between 1923-2008: Decembrists Square. This name came from the uprising that took place on the square on December 24th 1825.
Senate Square started appearing at the beginning of the 18th century and kept growing and changing as the city developed. It is lined on one side by the buildings of the Admiralty and on the other by those of the Senate and Synod. In 1782 the statue of the bronze cavalryman was erected on the square, it depicts Peter the Great.