Museum of the Russian political police
This museum is located in the a mansion from the late 18th century. At the very beginning of the Russian Revolution it was home to the ”All-Russian Extraordinary Commission for Combatin Counter-Revolution and Sabotage” more commonly known with is shortened name ”Cheka”. Felix Dzerzhinsky, leader of this police, had his office there.
The museum, founded in 1975 is one of the rare museums in the country that tells the story of the various political polices: the Okhrana from the end of the Russian Empire to the Cheka (1917-1922) then the GPU (state political directorate 1922-1934). It allows to realize the extent of the action and repression system introduce by the organizations.