Anna Akhmatova Museum in the Fountain House
The ”Fountain House” is the nickname given to the palace that belonged to the Sheremetev family, member of the Russian nobility. It is located on the bank of Fontanka River.
Hosted in the southern part of the palace, this museum, unveiled in 1989, was named after Anna Akhmatova (1889-1966). She is considered as one of the greatest poetess of the 20th century but she was suspected during the dark years of the Soviet regime. She lived several years in the palace that had been turned into communal apartments.
The museum tells the story of her life and her work. Through a collection of fifty thousand books, it also mentions other writers who like her belonged to the ”Silver Century”. This period of the Russian culture took place between the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century.