This museum is located in a building, designed by architect Alexander von Hohen, that distinguishes itself with its old Russian castle style. The museum opened in 1904 on the one hundred and seventy-fifth anniversary of Suvorov (1729-1800).
This Russian commander is known for being involved in over sixty battles and winning them all. After the battle of Prague in 1794, Catherine the Great honored him with the title of Field Marshall, highest distinction in the Imperial army.
The museum was shut down after the Bolshevik Revolution and reopened only in 1951 as the museum of military history. After 10 years of reconstruction it was opened again in 1998 and is now once again dedicated to Alexander Suvorov.