Alexander Nevsky Cathedral. Novosibirsk
This cathedral was one of the first buildings built in stone in Novonikolaevsk (former name of Novosibirsk.
This orthodox building, in neo-byzantine style, was built between 1886 and 1889 modeled after the Virgin church in Saint Petersburg so as to commemorate Emperor Alexander III who initiated the construction of the Trans-Siberian Railway. The Tsar’s family offered the land and funds for the Cathedral to be built as well as icons and sacred vases.
The cathedral was shut down in 1937. Until 1991, year of restoration, consecration and reopening, it hosted the workshop of cinematographic actuality of Western Siberia.