This belfry consists of 5 levels and is considered one of the most beautiful in its kind in Russia. This building is one of the youngest in the Lavra, it was constructed between 1741 and 1768. With the height of 88 m it is the highest building of the monastery as well. It is 11 m higher than the belfry of the Novodevichy Convent and 6 m higher than the Ivan the Great bell tower in Moscow Kremlin. This belfry is a work of D. V. Ukhtomsky, the chief architect during the reign of Empress Elizabeth. The view from the belfry is admirable and one can see the whole Lavra, as well as Sergiev Possad. Inside the belfry there is a shop of religious objects.
Before the Revolution of 1917 there were 42 bells, now only 25 are left. The heaviest bell weighs 35 tonnes and was cast in 2002 in Moscow.