The zoo appeared in Novosibirsk as soon as 1933. In 1942, a special zoological area was created so as to shelter the animals evacuated from circuses and touring zoos in the European part of Russia.
After World War II, the inhabitants of the city did not want to see the animals leave and the shelter was given to the municipality. On August 29, 1947 the first zoo of Siberia opened.
The snow leopard became the emblem of the zoo. In Siberia this beautiful and graceful animal can only be found in the Altai Region.
The zoo covers an area of 53ha. It is home to 11,000 animals from 478 different species including 120 listed on the Red Book. The collaborators of the zoo participate in 45 international programs to save rare or threatened animal species.
Each year the zoo welcomes over a million visitors.