Museum of Nature
The museum of nature of Irkutsk is located in an ancient house built by the Siberian enlightener and editor P. Makushin in 1903. The nature department is a branch of the Irkutsk local history museum since 1920. However the first exhibitions took place 1879.
The founder of the museum’s paleontological collection is Ivan Chersky, the eminent scientist and explorer of Siberia. There is also natural-science funds and an animal stuffing workshop inside the museum. The permanent exhibition “Nature of Lake Baikal” was opened in the museum in 2000.