Tver Imperial Road Palace
The Tver Imperial Road Palace is the 18th century architectural monument built in the classic style with some elements of the baroque style. The Road Palace was intended as a resting place for the members of the imperial family as they travelled from St. Petersburg to Moscow. In the XIXth cen. it served as a residence for the grand duchess Catherine Pavlovna and her spouse, prince George of Oldenburg. All the high society of Tver gathered there and distinguished guests from Moscow and St. Petersburg came to the palace. In the XXth cen. it was headquarters of the Soviets (government bodies in the USSR) of worker and peasant deputies. In the autumn 1941 the palace was partially destroyed by the German soldiers. After the Road Palace was restored, it was transformed into the principal treasury of the city, namely the Tver Region Art Gallery and Tver State Joint Historical, Architectural and Literary Museum.