Cathedral of the Assumption
The cathedral of the Assumption is the only extant part of the monastery of the Tver fortress. The monastery was founded in 1182-1205. The cathedral of the Assumption is located at the site of the ancient stone cathedral which was built in the XIV - early XVth cen. The present cathedral of the Assumption was built in 1722, a little further east than the old cathedral. In 1850 the interior of the church was decorated with a fresco. Since 1994 divine services have been performed there. In 1868 side chapels were attached to the eastern part of the building. One of them was turned into a vestry and consecrated as St. Seraphim of Sarov's chapel in 1904. In the early 1990s the cathedral was returned to the Russian Orthodox Church.