The Tarskie Gates belong to the symbols of Omsk. They were built in 1792 on the northern border of the Omsk fortress. The gates led to the Stepnoy bastion of the Omsk fortress, the place of the convict prison. Convict F. M. Dostoevsky, a famous Russian writer, used to walk through the gates every day. On Feruary 17, 1959, the XVIIIth century monument of history and architecture was destroyed. The city was deprived of one of its prominent curiosities. In 1991 the gates were reconstructed on the same spot. The project of reconstruction deviated from the original: instead of the two original niches there are now four niches in the walls of the arch. One of the niches has a door to the stairs leading to a 30-square-meter guardroom.