Monastery of Saint Euphemius
The monastery of St. Euphemius is situated at the Kamenka river in the northern part of the city. The monastery was founded in 1352 as a fortress intended to protect the city from external and internal enemies. Now it is the largest museum ensemble of the city. The original wooden monastery structures have not survived to this day; the present look of the ensemble formed in the XVI-XVII cen. The principal temple of the monastery, the Transfiguration of Our Savior cathedral, was built in the XVIth cen. The pride of the cathedral lies in the frescos discovered by the restorers on its facades and the murals by famous XVII-century masters Gury Nikitin and Sila Savin. Next to the eastern wall of the cathedral is situated the grave of Prince Pozharsky, an outstanding Russian general. In 1766, by order of Catherine II, a prison was established in the monastery. The architectural complex of the monastery is included in the UNESCO world heritage list.