The Pokrovsky Convent was founded in 1364 under Prince Dmitry Konstantinovich. The present look of the ensemble formed in the XVI cen, when the convent became the place of exile for disgraced tsarinas and women of noble boyar families. In the XVI-XVII cen. the convent was one of the principal Russian convents. The central monument of the complex is the Pokrovsky cathedral, built in 1510-1518. From the four sides the building is surrounded with open galleries, and its portals are richly decorated. Exile tsarinas, grand duchesses and noble women of aristocratic families of early Rus such as Ivan III's daughter Alexandra, Peter the Great's first wife and many others were buried in a table tomb under the Pokrovsky cathedral. In 1923 the convent was closed and ravaged. At present it is an active convent.