The Catholic Church of the Virgin Mary is the only catholic worship place in the city. It was built in 1883 by architects F. Loginov and K. Tursky and engineer Y. Chraher. It was financed by the Polish exiles in Tomsk. However the initiative came from a french subject: Alexandre Machinsky.
The architecture of the church is that of the early 20th century. The church used to host two organs, a wooden painted sculpture and a number of copies of famous European paintings.
The church was closed in 1940. In 1979 after a long stage of renovation a planetarium was set up in the building. 10 years later it was returned to the Church.