Cathedral of the Nativity
The Cathedral of the Nativity stands on the central square of Lipetsk. It was founded in 1791. However it was only completed in 1842. Its architect was Tomazzo Adolini. He had been chosen by Empress Catherine the Great herself.
During Soviet times all the belongings of the Cathedral were taken away. When the building started deteriorating the question of its destruction was discussed. However it was decided to keep it up. It hosted the Regional Museum for a while. In 1991 religious service resumed in the Cathedral.