Ivan the Great Bell Tower
Ivan the Great Bell Tower is located on Cathedral Square in Kremlin.
It was initially designed by Italian architect Marco Bon Fryazin in 1505-1508. In 1600, on orders of Tsar Boris Godunov, it was extended with an arcade meant to welcome its twenty-two bells and a new dome was added. The bell tower then reached 81 meters. A three hundred twenty-nine steps stair enables to go up an observation platform.
A three lines inscription in golden letters and in old Slavonic was added under the dome. It includes the year 1600, the name Tsar Boris Godunov and his son Fyodor.
In the years 1532-1543, a church was added on the side of the bell tower: the Assumption Church. It was rebuilt in the 17th century so as to look exactly like the former one. The church now hosts the Kremlin museum.
Napoleon’s troops severely damaged Ivan the Great Bell Tower in 1812. It was entirely restored in 1814-1815.