Pyotr Yeropkin Palace
This palace was built for Moscow’s commander-in-chief, Lieutenant General and Senator Pyotr Yeropkin (1724-1805). Catherine II put him in charge of “watching over the health of the whole city of Moscow” in 1717. After he ended a revolt that burst out the same year after an epidemic plague, the Empress offered him bestowing gifts that he refused. For that reason the Muscovites felt a great respect for him.
In 1806, after the Senator and his wife died, the estate was bought so as to create a commerce college. The education there was classical and professional.
Only the stone façade and a few walls survived the 1812 fire. It was then rebuilt and another building was added in 1853-1854.
After the 1917 Revolution, it became the Institute of Foreign Languages. Nowadays it houses the Moscow State Linguistic University.