The Drama Theatre named after A.N.Ostrovsky exists since 1808. It is one of the oldest theatres of Russia. It was deeply influenced by Moscow Imperial troop evacuated to Kostroma during the Patriotic War of 1812.
In 1923 the theatre was named after outstanding playwright A.N.Ostrovsky, all his plays were staged here. The theatre repeatedly took part in Russian and international drama festivals. The building for theatre was built in 1863 and represents an architectural monument in itself.