This hotel is one of Moscow’s “Seven Sisters” (skyscrapers built on the initiative of Stalin). Towering at 200 meters, it is the second tallest building of this style after Lomonosov University.
Located on the embankment of Volga River, its construction started in 1953 and was completed in 1957. The main building with its thirty-four floors was meant to be a hotel from the beginning. The two other parts of the building are housing.
After three years of renovation Hotel Urkaina reopened in 2010. The work enabled for every element of the skyscraper’s soviet architecture to be restored.