Fersman Mineralogical Museum
This mineralogical museum was named after famous Russian geochemist and Mineralogist Alexander Fersman (1883-1945) who used to be at its head.
The origin of this world renowned museum is very old. The first of its collection was gathered by peter the Great in 1716 in Saint-Petersburg in the “Curiosity cabinet”. Later it was given to the Russian Science Academy and finally it was incorporated to a museum.
In 1934 it was moved from St-Petersburg to Moscow, transferring its collection took a whole of thirty train wagons. It is now located in the garden “Neskuchny Sad” and it now enjoys a 12,000 square meters area for exhibiting its twelve thousand pieces collection (although that’s only a twelfth of the museum’s collection).