Convent of Saint John the Percursor
This convent is dedicated to Saint John the Percursor, also known as Saint John the Baptist.
It is thought to have been built in 1533 by Vasili III so as to commemorate the birth of his son, future Ivan the Terrible. In 1657, Cathedral Saint John the Baptist was built in stone.
After going through many destructions and modifications, the monastery was rebuilt by architect Mikhail Vykovsky. The work lasted until 1870. Its gothic style makes it stand out from the rest of Moscow’s monasteries.
In the 19th century it was the home of a young orphanage’s school. During the war that opposed Russia to Turkey (1877-1878) it was turned into a hospital. Closed down in 1918, the monastery belonged to the Cheka and then was used as a NKVD prison.
Restored, the convent was returned to the Church in 1995.