St Clement’s Church
There was a first church in that spot that was consecrated in 1741 as Elisabeth the first ascended the throne. This happened on Saint Clement’s day.
The new church, in “Elisabethan Baroque” style is painted in red and white and has five domes. It was finished in 1770. Its architecture is influenced by that of the palaces built at that time. The bell tower was only completed in 1774.
It was closed in 1934 and became property of Lenin State Library. It was returned to the Orthodox Church in 1990.