Church of St Nicholas in Khamovniki
This church is located in the former weaver’s area: Khamovniki. The church was built in 1679 in the reign of Tzar Feodor III. It was consecrated in 1682.
It is a prime example of the architectural style called “Naryshkin Baroque” or Muscovite Baroque. The church stands out thanks to decorative details painted in red and green on a white background.
This church was still working during the Soviet era. In 2008, it celebrated the 160 years anniversary of the arrival of its main relic: the “Defender of the sinners” icon.