Maly theatre means « small theatre ». It is located on the theatre square, facing the Bolshoi Theatre.
The building used to be a town house but it was turned into a theatre by architect Ossip Bové in 1824.
The theatre’s repertoire consists of both Russian and foreign classics. It formed many ties with theatres outside of the country’s borders. It often hosts foreign productions and its company frequently goes on international tours.