Prince Vladimir Cathedral
Erected where another unfinished one stood, the construction of the cathedral started in 1766. Antonio Rinaldi, an Italian architect, was put in charge of the project and completed it in 1773.
However, the cathedral was only consecrated in 1789, after a second stage of work that started in 1783. This last work was on the façade and Ivan Starov led it.
This five domed cathedral in early classical style underwent many architectural modifications in its history. In 1823, for example, its iconostasis was turned into Empire style.
After the Bolshevik Revolution, Prince Vladimir Cathedral was only shut down in 1926-1927. It welcomed the icon of « Our Lady of Kazan » from 1940 until it was returned to the Cathedral of Kazan in 2001.