Church of the Resurrection of the Christ along the Obvodny canal
This church was built thanks to the funds gathered by “the Alexander Nevsky Society of Sobriety”. It was built under supervision of three German architects so as to replace a wooden church.
Buitl between 1904 and 1908, the church of the Resurrection of the Christ features a “Neo-Russian” style. Surmounted by a main dome and four secondary domes, its walls are decorated with bricks and granite. The inside decoration of the building was only completed in 1914.
Its bell tower reaches 60 meters and has a bell called “Father Alexander”. This priest, who died in 1905, was the founder of “the Alexander Nevsky Society of Sobriety”.
The church was shut down in 1930 and looted. It then served very different purposes. It was, for example, used as a movie theatre and then as a skydiving training centre (they jumped from the bell tower). It was returned to the Orthodox Church in 1990, it is still “waiting for major restoration”.