This marvel of Neo-Gothic style completely stands out of the rest of architect Georg Veldten’s works. He is the one who designed, among others, Saint Catherine’s Armenian Church.
Requested by Catherine II, it is located near Chesme Palace. The latter was built to serve as a halt for the Imperial court on their way to Tsarskoye Selo. The exact location of the church is not random. It was erected on the very spot where the Empress learned about the Russian victory in the battle of Chesme (Turkey) in 1770. The battle opposed the Russian fleet to the Ottoman’s. The construction of the church started in 1777 and it was consecrated three years later.
Closed in 1919, the church found itself standing in the middle of a forced labor camp for a few years and then was badly damaged by a fire in 1930 and by the bombings of Wolrd War II. It was returned to the Church in 1991 and restored a few years later.