Peter and Paul fortress
The Peter and Paul fortress is one of the symbols of Saint Petersburg. It is located on Zayachi Island on the banks of the Neva River.
Engaged in a conflict opposing Imperial Russia to Sweden, Peter the Great requested its construction. It started in 1703 under the direction of Italian architect Domenico Trezzini. The fortified building with its five outposts was only completed in 1740. It hosts the cathedral of the same name, designed by the same architect and now necropolis of the Romanov Imperial family.
Peter and Paul fortress hosted a garrison for a while and then became a sort of political prison. The very son of the Emperor, tsarevich Alexis Petrovich was locked away and died there. After 1872, Trubetskoy outpost was especially rebuilt so as to be used as a prison.
After the revolution, the fortress was turned into a museum as soon as 1924. One year later it was spared from a project of destruction for the construction of a stadium to replace it.
Every day at noon a canon is fired in the fortress. This tradition dates back to 1865, however it was interrupted during the fifty years of the soviet era.