Town Council Tower
This red tower located on the corner of Nevsky Prospect and Dumskaya Street. It is one of the buildings of the town council (in Russian: gorodskaya duma).
Built at the beginning of the 19th century, between 1839 and 1854, it hosted the optical telegram system (or Shap). The tower used to be part of the transmissions network linking St Petersburg to Warsaw. A message, linked up by a hundred and forty-nine stations could travel 1,200 km in only 15 minutes. Its primary purpose was to serve as a watch tower to prevent fires.