Russian Academy of Fine Arts
The Russian Academy of Fine Arts is historically known as the Imperial Academy of Fine Arts. When it was created, in 1757, it was located in its instigator's, Earl Ivan Shuvalov, mansion.
The contemporary building on the Universtetskaya Embankment was designed by architects Alexander Kokorinov and Jean-Baptiste Michel Vallin de la Mothe. Built between 1764 and 1788. It sport a neoclassical facade. Facing it stand two real Egyptian sphinx that used to be in the courtyard.