Located on Vasilevsky Island, Twelve Collegia is an edifice made of twelve buildings that all have the same shape and two floors. It stretches on 400 meters. Although it was Domenico Trezzini who designed the buildings, other architects were involved in its construction which lasted from 1722 to 1742.
Initially each structure hosted a ministry. In 1804, the Pedagogy Institute settled in one of the buildings. Today, and since 1835, Twelve Collegia belongs to the State University of Saint Petersburg.