Manege of Saint Petersburg
Built in 1804-1807, the Manege of Saint Petersburg was designed by Giacomo Quarenghi. Its initial purpose was to allow the cavalrymen of the horse riding regiment to practice for the parades in all seasons.
Its facade is made of a portico with eight Doric columns. It is framed with small-scales reproductions of statues of Castor and Pollux. The original ones decorated the Quirinal Palace in Rome.
The building underwent several modifications through its history including the addition of a floor in 1931. It was given various purposes during Soviet times and the NKVD used it as a garage. Badly damaged during World War II, it was entirely restored.
Since 1977 this historical monument of Saint Petersburg became the ”Manege” Central Exhibition Hall. It totals an area of over 4,000 sq-m and many artistic and cultural events take place there. It also displays many contemporary art works collected by the Exhibition Hall.