The botanical garden of Saint Petersburg is located on Aptekarsky Island (apothecary island). In 1714, Peter the Great requested the creation of an apothecary garden in this very place, hence the name of the island.
Today the garden belongs to the Komarov Institute of Botanic. It includes a 16.7 ha park as well as an orangery. The latter, made up of twenty-eight greenhouses, covers an area of one hectare and stretches on one kilometer. More than nine thousand five hundred plants are displayed.
Each year, a hundred thousand people visit the garden. Some thematic excursions are also organized such as: ”Plants of the Tropical regions of the globe”, ”Plants of the subtropical regions”, ”Park-arboretum plants”. The latter allows visitors to see one of the very rare plants of the garden: Victoria Amazonica giant waterlilies.