This garden was initially part of the estate of Nicolas Yussupov. It is famous for its palace built by architect Giacomo Quarenghi. The mansion was bought by the crown in 1810.
In 1863, under Alexander II, a part of the garden was opened to the public. Separated from the palace by a fence, the garden then decorated: fountains, a place to rent boats on the pond and bridges to link all the small islands.
The garden quickly became a favorite place to practice sports using ice skates: races, hockey, figure skating. In 1896, the Europe Championship of figure skating took place in the garden and in 1903 it was the World Championship.
During Soviet times the garden was called ”Children's park of the October's district”. It went back to its original name in 1990 and the statue of Lenin that had been erected in 1955 disappeared.