This museum is hostel in a mansion built in 1770 by architect Jean-Baptiste Vallin de La Mothe. In 1824, its owner earl Nikolai Rumiantsev, modified its facade so as to look the way it does now.
The mansion is now one of the eight branches of the History museum of Saint Petersburg.
Through the collections, the history of Leningrad during World War II is told. An important part is dedicated to the embargo that was held on the city from September 1941 to January 1944.
Each Sunday the museum organizes a concert-conference. This enables to visit the ceremonial rooms.