Monument to the Hero Defenders of Leningrad
This monument, located on Victory Square, is one of the eight branches of the History museum of Saint Petersburg.
Created in 1975, it was erected to honor the memory of all the people who took part in the defense of Leningrad during the dark years of the embargo (September 1941 to January 1944). It also mentions the participants to the Iskra operation. Launched by Soviet troops it aimed to break the blockade.
The monument is made of a 48 meters-high obelisk, of a huge broken ring that symbolizes the break in the embargo and of several large sculptures. An eternal flame was also lit so as to commemorate the thirty years of the end of World War II. The structure is completed with an underground museum of 12,000 sq-m.