Monument “Broken Ring”
On November 22, 1941 a line of vehicles advanced on the frozen Ladoga Lake. It enabled the besieged city to be linked to the rest of the continent. To commemorate that event, the monument “Broken Ring” was erected near the lake in 1966.
It is made of two disjointed arches symbolizing the break of the blockade. The structure, made of reinforced concrete is 7 meters-high and weighs 32 tons. The monument is completed with tracks for trucks’ wheels in the concrete as well as an air gun.
The monument “broken ring” is part of an ensemble dedicated to the Embargo on Leningrad (September 1941 – January 1944) called the “Green Belt of Glory”.