Monument to the “lamplighter”
En 1873, for the first time, Odessa Street was lit by an incandescent lamp. We owe this technical “miracle” to electricity engineer Alexander Lodygin who had his studio on that street.
This revolutionary invention put an end to a very old job: the lamplighter. Created in 1998 in the same street, the monument is a sort of tribute to all the people who participated in the lighting of Saint Petersburg.
The state of the lighter is completed with the reproduction of several street lamps from the 18th and 19th century. Real art works, figures of architecture took part in their making including Goerg Veldten and Bartolomeo Rastrelli.