Opera and Ballet Theatre
The State Opera and Ballet Theatre is the symbol of Novosibirsk. The theatre has a total area of 11,837.8sq-m, which makes it the largest in Russia. It is nicknamed the Siberian Coliseum because of its size.
The building is recognized as a monument of history and architecture and has the status of National Cultural Institution.
Its construction started in 1931. The project was awarded with the Golden Medal at the Paris 1937 Universal Exhibition.
During World War II the museum sheltered the collections of museums of Moscow and Saint Petersburg, including some from Tretyakov Gallery, Pavlovsk Palace, and more.
After a reconstruction in 2005 it became the theatre with the most modern equipment in Russia.