Voznesensky Cathedral (Cathedral of the Ascension)
The Voznesensky Cathedral is the principal church of the Novosibirsk diocese. Its history dates back to the construction of the wooden church in 1913. In 1937 the church was closed and turned into a granary. In 1944 divine services were resumed in the church; in 1947 it acquired the status of a cathedral. By the thousandth anniversary of the Baptism of Russia in 1988 the church was reconstructed: the building was rebuilt in stone and the interiors of the church were decorated with murals. The icons of Saint Nicolas and Saint Seraphim of Sarov are kept in the cathedral together with particles of relics of these most renowned Orthodox Saints.