Stepan Razin Embankment
The Stepan Razin Embankment is one of the most agreeable places in the city. There are ancient blue and pink two-storeyed houses with low heavy arches of the gateways and fine stucco curls. A wonderful view on Volga and regions of the left river bank of the city opens up there. The embankment was laid in 1840 along the right bank of Volga (from the mouth of Tmaka to the historical border of Tver City) to protect the city from flooding. Up to 1923 it beared the name of the Embankment of the Volga River.