Cathedral of the Ascension
Up to 1612 a wooden church of the same name stood next to the present church. It was burned down during the Polish-Lithuanian intervention. In 1624 the church of the Ascension was rebuilt, but in 1725 the church of the Epiphany was burned down and was never restored. A little later the parishioners asked for permission to build a new stone church there. In 1751 the first side-altar of the Epiphany was completed and consecrated, but the construction of the cathedral went on for almost 9 years. In 1805 a new bell tower was attached to the cathedral. In 1831 it was decided to build a new side-chapel. Limestone was used to build the eaves, basement, steps of the cathedral and bell tower. The cathedral became a true decoration of the city. In 1935 the cathedral was closed. The services in the cathedral were resumed on January 7, 1993, on the Christmas Eve.