Kazan Monastery of the Virgin Mary
The history of the Kazan Monastery of the Virgin Mary (initially convent of Virgin Mary) is inseparably connected with the finding, glorification and reverence in Russia of the miracle-working Kazan icon of Virgin Mary.
This holy icon is one of the most venered icons in the Russian Church. The icon that had remained intact was found during the great fire of 1579 in Kazan. Soon a monastery was erected in the place where the miracle-working icon was found. The main building of the cathedral, where the icon was kept, was built in classical style in 1798-1808 at the site of the decrepit stone cathedral of the 1590s.
The monastery was closed in September 1918. In 2005 it was restored and turned into a monastery for men.