Carriage of Catherine II
In 1767, willing to see the eastern regions of her country, the empress of all Russia Catherine II made a journey along the Volga River. On May 26 the empress arrived in Kazan.
After her visit Kazan saw a new period of growth: new factories, plants, schools, churches and mosques were built; the first theater, gymnasium and university appeared. The original carriage of Catherine II in which the empress travelled around the city is still kept in the Kazan State Museum. The cast-iron monument of the carriage was erected before the entrance to the theater after Kachalov.