The Lenin Square is the central square of the city. All the principal events of the city life have always taken place there. In the beginning upon the governmental projects the territory of the present square was occupied by a cemetery with a chapel. In 1884 the cemetery was closed and the territory was used for a hardstand. In the 1890s Dukhovsky, general-governor of the Priamursky krai (the Amur region), gave an order to clear the area and make it suitable for military parades. The square was called Nikolayevskaya in honor of the Russian monarch Nicolas II. In 1917 it was given a new name of the Liberty square. The square received its current name on the 28th of July 1951. In the 1960s a big fountain was installed in the square.